Business Licenses & Permits

All businesses operating within the City of East Bethel are responsible for understanding and abiding by City Code, State and Federal Law.

The City of East Bethel does not issue general "business licenses". Instead, the City regulates several business activities through the issuance of licenses. All license application forms and information are available through at City Hall and many are available on this website. Once application materials have been received and any applicable license fee and background investigation fees have been paid, the information is reviewed by City staff for compliance and completeness.

Once all materials have been reviewed, the appropriate background investigations have been conducted, and the applicable fees have been paid, most applications will then be presented to the City Council for approval. Some licenses are issued administratively.

Building Permits

Before beginning your project, an application must be submitted for approval to the City of East Bethel.

Gambling Permit

Gambling Permits are issued by the Minnesota Gambling Control Board. For permit applications, call the Board at (651) 539-1900. The State requires the City to sign off on gambling applications. Applications may be submitted to the City Administrator’s Office.

Liquor License

Businesses selling or serving liquor are required to first obtain licensing to do so. Licensed businesses are expected to adhere to the guidelines set forth in City Ordinance. Not all businesses or organizations may sell or serve alcohol.

Massage Therapy Establishment/Massage Therapist

Every business that provides massage therapy services (except chiropractors) must have a Massage Therapy Establishment License. Every massage therapy establishment owner and manager must pass a background investigation and a building inspection before the license can be issued.

Every massage therapist must work at a licensed facility and must obtain a massage therapist license. To receive a license the applicant must pass a background investigation and have a diploma or certificate from an accredited school.

Motor Vehicle Dealer License

A Motor Vehicle Dealer license is required of any person or company that regularly buys and sells automobiles. All license holders are required to be familiar with the provisions of East Bethel City Code and with applicable Minnesota Statutes and federal regulations.

Outdoor Entertainment Permit

Outdoor Entertainment Permits are required for many run, walk, and cycling events and large gatherings. To determine if your event requires an Outdoor Entertainment Permit, please contact the Community Development Director.

Rental License

The City of East Bethel requires the licensing of all rental properties to protect the public welfare and improve the City’s housing stock. Rental licenses are issued for two-year terms and are transferable.

Peddler/Solicitor/Transient Merchant License

A license is generally required to go door-to-door or place-to-place selling merchandise, or to set up temporary operations. Peddlers, solicitors, and transient merchants are limited to operating from between 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.

Tobacco License

A license is required to sell tobacco and tobacco related paraphernalia. Generally, vending machines are prohibited. Applicants are alerted that periodic compliance checks are conducted with penalties associated for failure.

Trash Hauling License

The City of East Bethel has an open hauling system for residential solid waste collection. For a list of currently licensed haulers, please see our Trash Collection page.